Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Anger

Many times, I find myself getting angry, or at the least, aggravated. As my greatest desire is to be like Christ, I decided to research some Scripture concerning anger. Here is a little of what I've found.

God does not become angry quickly.
"The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy." - Psalm 145:8
"...but thou art a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness..." - Nehemiah 9:17

It is foolish to become angry quickly.
"Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools." - Ecclesiastes 7:9
"He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly:..." - Proverbs 14:17

It is wise to refrain from becoming angry.
"He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city." - Proverbs 16:32
"The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression." - Proverbs 19:11

God commands us to 'put off' anger.
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." - Colossians 3:8
"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." - Ephesians 4:31,32

I know that I have not even scratched the surface in finding all the Bible says about anger. But, in just these few verses,  I have learned a lot. My prayer is that God will help me be forgiving, and to always respond with a compassionate, gracious, and merciful attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment